This is the personal collection of B/W negatives and contact sheets of Professor Frederick E. Winter (deceased), relating to his studies of Greek and Roman architecture, particularly defensive fortifications, in the Aegean basin region.
Professor Winter wrote his doctoral dissertation on Greek Fortifications (1957) in the Department of Art and Archaeology at the University of Toronto under the direction of Professor J.W. Graham. For over fifty years he held a tenured position in the Department of Art and Archaeology (now Art History) at the University of Toronto, and early in his career he also taught in the Departments of Classics at University and Trinity Colleges. Although retired for many years, he continued to be actively involved in service on the Board of Directors of the Canadian Institute in Greece. His publications include Greek Fortifications (1971) and Studies in Hellenistic Architecture (2006). Professor Winter died on 17 September 2011, from complications following successful heart surgery. He was just a few weeks short of his eighty-ninth birthday.
The B/W negatives collection was donated to the Canadian Institute in Greece by Professor Winter in 2010. It comprises 11,710 images, taken by him from 1957 to 1991, mostly in Greece, Turkey and Italy, but also Egypt, the UK, France, Germany and Austria (and including objects in the British Museum, the Louvre and the Pergamon Museum). Digitization of the negatives at the CIG in Athens began in early 2012.