The Fountain House is one of several buildings found in the south central area of the city. The fountain house, keyhole-shaped building, propylon, and palaestra were initially cleared by Anastasios Orlandos in 1925. The Stymphalos project made a general plan of the area during the 1982 and 1983 survey seasons and later took advantage of lower water levels in 2002 to add further details to existing plans. Documenting the fountain house was of particular importance as it is threatened by conservation challenges and is one of only a few such structures to survive to the present from ancient Greece.
The area where the house is located was formed by massive quarrying for limestone blocks which make up the city’s buildings and fortifications. This area, located on the south slope of the acropolis within the city walls, is 75 x 34 m. While it is unclear just what purpose the area served, the presence of a propylon and tholos building suggests a sanctuary or heroon.
The fountain house is a relatively simple structure consisting of a basin 7.05 x 1.75 m with narrow stairways on its eastern and western sides. Water from a perennial spring continues to bubble up today, even in times of extreme drought. It is likely that the building will collapse in the near future as the hook clamps which held the long narrow limestone blocks together were removed in antiquity and increasing hydrostatic pressure behind the walls is causing them to bow out.